If you’ve got a marketing question, we’ve got an answer. Studio’s Common Questions series provides you short, sweet answers to big questions.
Question: What Does SEO Stand For?
The definition of search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing website traffic, online visibility and site authority in search engines through organic (unpaid) means. There are many ways a website can improve its SEO, including:
- Content Creation – writing keyword-rich content that’s relevant to your target market and provides context to search engines helps differentiate your site from competition. This content can take a variety of forms, including blog posts, videos, infographics or product information.
- Link Building – when third party websites link to your website, the link acts as a vote of confidence. Search engines measure inbound links to determine a website’s authority, and links are measured based on the authority of the site they came from and their relevance to your industry.
- Keyword Targeting – strategically targeting keywords in different places on your site helps provide a roadmap for search engines to understand how pages of your site correlate with one another and which pages are best suited for associated search queries.
- User Experience – the natural flow a site visitor takes when they visit your website is weighed by search engines. Site visitors should easily understand where to go, what buttons you want them to click, and how to find what they need.
- Reviews – acting as the online version of word-of-mouth marketing, reviews are an important part of a well-rounded SEO strategy. They reaffirm a commitment to customer service and vouch for product/service quality, and search engines have been known to prioritize websites with robust reviews.
- Local Optimization – websites that also feature a physical storefront can optimize for their local area. This is a great tactic to increase foot traffic for restaurants, trade services and retail shops where customers are likely to perform location-based searches.
- Supplementary Marketing – SEO works best in conjunction with other tactics that increase branding and utilize more search engine real estate, such as social media, pay-per-click advertising, email marketing and comparison shopping engines.
About The Author: Clara Metcalf
More posts by Clara Metcalf